How I setup my new machine
Bitium gave me a brand new 15" MacBook Pro, and this is how I set it up.
- Installed Google Chrome. It's still my favorite web browser.
- Installed Slack.
- Installed the Bitium Plugin.
- Installed Viscosity for Mac.
- Installed Xcode.
- Installed Flux. The blue of your screen after sunset might be contributing to your difficulty in sleeping. Flux fixes that. Stay healthy.
- Generated and added an SSH key to GitHub.
- Installed Postgres.app.
- Installed Fantastical Calendar.
- Installed Homebrew. This is the modern package manager for installing softare from the command line on OS X.
- Installed Spectacle. This is a handy and simple tool for controlling your windows.
- Installed Vim using homebrew. Vim has become my text editor of choice. The learning curve was steep (2 weeks), but the speed benefits have been worth it. It is also great for focus - because of minimal chrome distraction.
- Installed zsh using homebrew. I prefer zsh to bash.
- Installed oh-my-zsh using the manual way. This adds some nice defaults to my zsh config.
- Installed Vundle.
- Installed ruby-install.
- Installed The Silver Searcher. This command line search tool is faster, easier, and more powerful than grep or ack. It has become a key part of my coding workflow.
- Installed Postico.
- Cloned my dotfiles vimrc.
- Installed Dropbox. This is my software of choice for storing documents.
- Installed ngrok. I use this often for development - especially around webhooks.
Later on, I added some additional installs.
- Installed virtualbox and virtual box extensions.
brew cask install virtualboxand
brew cask install virtualbox-extension-pack
- Installed IE 11.
curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/xdissent/ievms/master/ievms.sh | IEVMS_VERSIONS="11" bash